Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Music

I guess I can say at this time I learned of the dark recesses in a person's mind. It's quite frightening as a child especially. Your mind takes you to a dark place where everything is black. There are no trees, no sunshine, no laughter. A place where you can visualize your body and mind a mangled wreck. What happened in my life in about the sixth grade was that I realized my mind had not taken me anywhere. This was my life. I would recoil like a snake into my room and hide inside my stereo, and let Bonnie Tyler and Spandau Ballet spill my guts out onto my pink carpet. My battered heart and soul was liquefied and slowly seeped out each pore of my speakers and gave me a momentary release. Music was my first true love, and I fell deep and hard. I wrapped my every emotion into it, and no matter what I was doing, I could think of a song to identify the moment. To this day, music has been my solace. My dad was especially bad during my sixth, seventh and eighth grade years. The beatings were relentless and I told no one. The verbal abuse was just as potent from him. I could only be called fat so many times before the tears soaked my pillow. My dad had a very sick sense of humor as well, and made jokes about me regarding feminine issues as well. I hated him. I literally saw myself killing that bastard. It was at this time that "My name is Luka," was released on the airwaves. A touching song about child abuse that wrenched people's hearts and stirred up anger in many parents. I just laughed. I was Luka. I was Luka at home and school. All their anger was for show. I was right there. I was right in front of their eyes. No one saw me. Everyone looked right through me.

No comments: