Sunday, May 25, 2008

Reality

Realizing at this time in my life that I was neither wanted at home nor at school became a huge dose of reality for me. Although school was like a second prison to me, I refused to miss a day. Anything was better than being at home with my dad. My outlet in school was learning everything I could and daydreaming about my favorite teacher adopting me. I also dreamt of Bob Zaremba taking me home too, but that was a little different! I had no friends, and was picked on constantly. School was an extension of my home life, yet sometimes felt even more brutal. The bruises my father inflicted on me would fade, but the kids' verbal bashing remained in my head. Truth be told, it remains to this day. It never goes away. The memory may dissipate, but once it's refreshed in your mind, it pierces just as bad as the first time it happened. I can instantly be transported back to fifth grade in one fleeting thought. I hated every single one of these fuckers. When I hear about these kids on the news going into schools and shooting the place up because they were bullied, I feel sick. Sick for two reasons. One, the loss of children's lives. Two, and probably the source of my feeling ill, I understand why they do it. I do not condone this by any means, but my inner being feels a compassion for these people that others may not be able to. This is a difficult cross to carry. It is but one more scar the little pieces of filth left on my battered heart and mind.

No comments: